Re: Wrapping all tables with packages and scalability

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:16:09 +0100

I don't know how you are calculating the
parse/execute ratio, but the reason I
pointed out that feature of ref cursors
was that it results in a higher level of
parse calls then you might expect.

Whether or not it's responsible for your
ratio is something I can't decide for you.

If your application is doing all it's data
calls through code like:

    local_var := function_call(params);
    array_fetch from local_var;
    procedure_call_close(local_var);

Then every data fetch would result in a parse
call, so the number of parses per executes
would be high.

(As an aside - if this is the case, you could
improve the hit ratio by using single row fetches
instead of an array fetch ;)  (Don't take that
remark seriously, I saw your earlier comment
about hit ratios not being a good target)

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar