RE: Where To Use Additional Memory

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: <Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:39:15 -0600

There are many possible reasons for this...

1. You did not increase the size of the Oracle Buffer Cache to take
advantage of the new memory.
2. Your performance problems were already related to excessive logical
IO and adding memory will only add to the problem.
3. There is a disk/cpu or network bottleneck, no amount of new memory
will solve this.
4. Hardware isn't good at compensating for poor application design.

Why don't you post a few statspack reports someplace when you are having
trouble I am sure others will be happy to comment.  Use 5-10 minute
intervals when you are having the problems.