RE: Where To Use Additional Memory

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:24:59 -0000

        "why the additional 2 Gb=20= of memory the Sysadmin added to the
production server was not improving=20= our OLTP transaction response
time=2E"

        That's the best one in ages!

        You can't just throw memory at databases and expect them to speed
up, 10 fold. You need your ER/DB Architect to look at the DB design, gather
and check the performance stats, visit the SQL developers, look at their
code and response times, finally look at where measurable improvements will
make a difference and utilise the extra memory. Simply "tinkering" with a
limited set of the database parameters to utilise memory, will not improve
it's performance.

        I had a similar problem with developers here, who kept asking why we
didn't increase the shared pool every time a piece of SQL or structure
change did not perform as well as expected. We'd upgrade the box to keep our
HW agreements up to date and they'd ask why it wasn't running faster. I
asked them to go to Asktom.oracle.com and look up "increase shared pool",
they left me alone once they had better ideas about tuning and improving
their code.

        Kind regards