Re: What are your DBA subclasses?

  • From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Don Granaman <DonGranaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:30:09 -0800

If all DBAs were "project/product specific" who would do the common tasks
such as install new releases? I think there is a lot of DBA work that is not
project specific. Still, I think you make a good point. In our shop, I take
requirements from my manager who works with the end-user. From the
requirements I design and create the tables / indexes /sequences /
materialized views and any other database objects. I don't create
tablespaces, but assign tables to existing tablespaces.  Then I write and
test any PL/SQL code. If the SQL is non-trivial I do performance tuning.
When it's done, I put together migration scripts in Perforce. Lastly I
create a TeamTrack ticket that is essential a request for the DBA's to run
the migration scripts which push to our QA-TEST/STAGE/and PROD
environments.

So, our DBAs don't really know much about what is going into PROD unless our
developers (me) bring it to their attention. We DO bring it to the DBA's
attention if it's a heavy process or involves huge amounts of data. The
developers understand those issues that the DBAs are going to want to know
about.

So maybe I am kind of a DBA/Developer Hybrid.

Thanks for your input,
Mike