What are your DBA subclasses?

  • From: Michael Moore <michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:11:49 -0800

When we were a much smaller company, we had one class of DB, "generic-DBA"
where DBA was an abbreviation for "Does 'Bout Anything". A given DBA was
responsible for Installation, patching, configuration, disk management,
PL/SQL code review, tuning SQL , application migration, development
standards etc etc.

Now that we've grown into a billion dollar company with over a hundred
developers, we probably need to have more specialization. I'm thinking in
terms of DA, DCA, DBA ... you get the idea.

I'd be interested in how other medium sized organizations divide up their
various DBA functions.

I'm sure this has been disguised before, so if you wan't to link me to
reading material, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike