RE: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

  • From: "Keith Moore" <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:01:19 -0500 (CDT)

True story. Had to restore a database from tape and
1.  Had a good RMAN backup on tape
2.  "Could" have restored the backup successfully

but...

Unix admin had the backup tape writeable and
had the tape drive configured so that when a tape was put in the drive, it was
automatically formatted for the next backup.

OUCH!

So, when I tested the backup and recovery, I should have had the Unix admin
take the tape out of the drive and put it back in again!

Keith