RE: What are the common mistakes DBA do retarding backup & Recovery?

  • From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:10:28 -0600

1. Assuming your recovery strategy will work because it was tested a year
ago.
2. Assuming your disaster recovery strategy will work because your recovery
strategy was tested successfully ever.
3. Forgetting to store copies of the current version of your RDBMS software
and other ancillary recovery oriented stuff.
4. Assuming your backups are successful without monitoring.
5. Backing up your NOARCHIVELOG database while it's up and running and
assuming that if you have to recover from that backup that you will have
Oracle find a magic way to do it (I've had at least one client tell me that
very thing).
6. Use exp/imp as your primary backup tool assuming that you can apply
archived redo logs to recover the database (see number one and replace
"tested a year ago" with "never tested". Again, at least one client who was
banking on that strategy.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
Principal Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Father of Five, Husband of One,
Author of various geeky computer titles
from Osborne/McGraw Hill (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Now Available for Pre-sales on Amazon.com!
Sig V1.1