Re: Was 10G and UFS - long write times (is, I/O really?)

  • From: "Christo Kutrovsky" <kutrovsky.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:36:01 -0400

Kevin, I am not sure what your email is answering (I am missing the
quoted question) but wouldn't it be better in 10g to test with "commit
batch nowait" rather then turning of logging with the underscore
parameter ?

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

On 6/8/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PS the waits are all IO related - log buffer , log file sync etc

... are you absolutely sure the I/O component of these waits is what is
actually slow.
You know there is more to the anatomy of a log file sync and log buffer
wait than
I/O right?  A process get posted though the post/wait mechanism (port
dependent)
and THEN it comes out of the wait. In short, there is IPC wrapped around
the LGWR
loop. I wonder if there is something in the 10gR2 post/wait driver that
is busted?
Quite possible.  How do they compare with _logging_disable=TRUE?  When
this is set there
is still LGWR posting and lfs waits, but LGWR doesn't actually write to
the log.

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l