VxFS threaded AIO vs. DBWR Slaves

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:40:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I'm building a 10g database on a VxFS filesystem on HP-UX.  I understand this
does not support kernelized asynchronous I/O but does support threaded
asynchronous I/O which I believe has a significant CPU overhead.  So: should I
use the threaded asychronous I/O from VxFS (FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS=SETALL) or
should I switch it off, and use multiple database writer slaves instead?

My aim is targeted towards performance rather than capacity (i.e. small number
of users in database).

Thanks for any tips!

Charlotte

Be a better friend, newshound, and