Re: Using dbms_metadata to extract a full schema

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:23:56 -0700

Hi Dan,
I MetaLink'd as well, and then RTFM'd.

It seems that retrieving all DDL that is needed to recreate a schema via
DBMS_METATDATA is a daunting task.

It is frankly rather amazing to me that no one thought to include a func
RECREATE_SCHEMA_DDL( schema_in varchar2) return CLOB or a
similar proc to do the same thing.  I just can't imagine going to all that
trouble to write an API and miss the one piece of functionality that 90%
of the users would like to have.

I'll stick with perl modules DDL::Oracle , and the excellent Data Bee
tool.

Jared

Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Using dbms_metadata to extract a full schema

Okay, I've rtfmed, ctnomed, googled and I'm still not finding
anything close.

I want to use dbms_metadata to extract all the objects
associated with a specific schema. Every article I find that
says "Here's how you extract a schema" shows how to extract
multiple tables and, sometimes, indexes. Unfortunately, the
schema I'm looking at has triggers, sequences, etc. Even the
Oracle documentation examples cover multiple tables though they
say that they are extracting a schema.

Yes, I know I can use exp w/rows=N to do the same thing, but I
am trying to learn something new.

Any examples, docs, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Daniel