Re: Usefull: Unix commands for Windows

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:45:15 +0300

I have to somewhat disagree with you.

I am managing both Windows and Linux servers and I want to be able to use the same tools to manage both.
Sure, I can login into the server with Putty and do VI on the file.
I would prefer in both cases, to access remotely the file system from my work station, using windows explorer or winscp, navigate to the file and double click to get it in my favorite editor.

A second case is my team member, who is in charge of backups and load.
He does most of his work with Perl so there is no compatibility problem but in some scripts use Linux programs. He install Linux utilities on windows servers so he can use the same scripts in both OS's.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Niall Litchfield wrote:

There does seem to be a tendency for many in IT (maybe everywhere) to try to bend a system to fit the way in which they are used to working rather than to learn how to use the different system differently.