Re: RE: Usefull: Unix commands for Windows

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dunbar, Norman" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:49:46 +0100

I suppose that your comment below about the relative number of hits for Unix
tools on windows vs my non serious equivalent illustrates the point I was
trying, and for at least some, failing to make. There does seem to be a
tendency for many in IT (maybe everywhere) to try to bend a system to fit
the way in which they are used to working rather than to learn how to use
the different system differently. Generally this is a recipe for pain and
frustration, I'd imagine that most folk on this list would find a developer
who by default made every table an IOT based on the table's pk a bit odd,
yet for someone coming from MSSQL that would be quite a natural thing to do.
The systems behave differently and best results are found by using them
differently. Incidentally some but not all of the tools referred to are in
the windows server resource kit which you may find an easier time getting
admins to install, many will have done it as part of a standard server
build.

Niall Litchfield

On Jun 22, 2010 8:35 AM, "Dunbar, Norman" <
norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Morning Niall,

>> I wonder if someone could point me to a set of Windows
>> equivalents on Unix...

This might help http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html
but a Google search shows nothing in the "windows commands on UNIX" but
a hell of a lot of "UNIX commands in windows".

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.   We have
checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still
check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and
any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act,
Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent
to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone
other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.  If we have sent
you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions
which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more about the

more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk