Re: Urgent Oracle CPU issue

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kedeshpande@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:34:03 -0400

Kirtikumar Deshpande wrote:

>Sanjay,
> Can you trace the session using event 10046, for sometime, during the time
> when the CPU
>utilization is high? It may provide clues as to what's going on during that
>timeframe.
>
> Cheers!
>
>- Kirti

Kirti, I am not at all sure that 10046 is the right tool here. The event
10046 is geared toward exposing
waits. The problem with this particular thing seems to be that it is NOT
waiting at all, it's hogging the CPU.
Event 10046 is great when you need to do something to alleviate waits,
but I'm not so sure that it is
a good profiler. Of course, in practice,  there are one or two SQL
statements doing hash join and utilizing
PQ simultaneously which can account for the vast majority of spent CPU
power, but theoretically, 10046
is not the tool for diagnosing CPU bottlenecks. Of course, it doesn't
mean that you are not da man
for tuning databases, either. Welcome back!

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA