Re: Undo tablespace offline and ORA-00376

  • From: tonions@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:57:20 +0000

Sami

As per your other respondent - I had the same issue and was told that
Oracle is still trying to check UNDO in the offlined tablespace. If the
tablespace had been dropped then Oracle would not have bothered, making the
assumption that the drop would not have taken place if there was still data
in the UNDO tablespaces. So the solution is as posted if you feel confident
to do so (I must admit I did not and ended up shrinking the old UNDO as
small as possible and leaving it on-line but not used).

HTH

Tim

Tim Onions
Head Of Oracle Development
Phone: +44 (0) 1684 312364 ext. 364
Cell: +44 (0) 7736 634556
www.medquist.com

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, promptly delete it
and all attachments.

             "Sami Seerangan"
             <dba.orcl@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             oracle-l-bounce@f                                          cc
             reelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Undo tablespace offline and
             16/03/2006 21:25          ORA-00376

             Please respond to
             dba.orcl@xxxxxxxx

2 Node RAC,9.2.0.6, Sun OS 2.8

We created new undo tablespaces (UNDO3, UNDO4) for each node1 and
node2 respectively and changed default undo tablespace to UNDO3 and
UNDO4. Then we put old UNDO tablespaces offline.

After 2 days we are trying to create a new index and it gives the
following error.

Any idea?

SQL> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ABC_KEY_IDX01 ON ABC_STAGE (SESSN_KEY,
PART_KEY,SUB_PART_KEY) TABLESPACE STAGE_INDEX LOCAL NOPARALLEL;
                                           *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 2: '/u01/oradata/pdw/undotbs01.dbf'

Luckily the tablespace is still offline and I can bring it online. But
I just wanted to know teh reason behind this?

Thanks
Sami

GIF image

GIF image