RE: Things which are removed in Oracle 11G from 10G

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Sreejith.Sreekantan@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:53:21 -0400

Sreejith,

    From dealing with upgrades since V3 there is never a case of
something that worked in an earlier version that does not still work
today, or at least I haven't run across one.  Now how well the earlier
behavior of parts of the DB work and what impact that may have on your
application is another matter all together.  I remember that back in
Oracle 8.1.6 they changed the behavior of the group by clause.  In
previous versions it would return the list in ordered fashion as if you
had added an order by clause.  But all of a sudden that changed so that
group by returned the list in random fashion based on which row came out
of the db first, sorta as if you had done an order by rowid clause.
That caused more trouble than I care to remember as many applications
had been dependant of the earlier behavior.  And believe me that can be
a real bear to find.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International