Thick vs thin client - 11g R2

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:24:59 -0600

Oracle - 10.2.0.4
OS - SUSE10
Platform - IBM zSeries mainframe

The decision was made recently to install the 11g R2 client on our
application servers.  I installed it, set up the tnsnames and tested
connections to all databases using SQL*Plus.  No problems at any step.

Problems arose when they couldn't start the application using the thick
client, only the thin client.  Due to the way our application was written,
the thin client allows non-printable characters into the tables that the
application cannot then pull back out.  They chose to ignore my advice that
they thoroughly test and verify what was being affected.  Customers are
complaining about "corrupted" data.  The word I get is "we don't have time
to fix the app, fix oracle."

Many people at the company are under the impression that 11g R2 client is
strictly a thin client.  Is that true?  How do you determine that?

--
Sandy
Transzap, Inc.