RE: Testing Direct I/O

  • From: "Khemmanivanh, Somckit" <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mladen Gogala" <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:26:33 -0800

>>In order to measure the performance impact of switching to direct I/O,
it would
be a good thing to measure your performance, in the first place.
Completely illogical
thing to do would be to develop a metrics to test your performance, then
run a test
to create a baseline against which you are testing, then switch to
direct I/O, rerun
the test and compare the results against the baseline. Unfortunately, my
ESP powers
are usually weak before summer so I cannot read your mind and create a
test that
would reflect your business model. My telepathic abilities increase
exponentially
if I am plied with copious quantities of Long Island ice tea, but as
that is not the
case, I can not help you.<<<

Well that is part of what I'm asking the list...

Are there specific metrics to quantify the gain in switching to direct
i/o? What should be inspected? Some specific Oracle wait analysis, OS
analysis, etc...

I'm not asking for anyone to read my mind but rather for what should be
observed during testing...

By observing and documenting the results of a test I can try to
understand the results better...I do-not want to blindly implement
direct i/o without understanding it in my environment first(that was the
message I was trying to convey)...

That is what this whole sentence was about:

"However, I'd like to test the results of actually using direct i/o. In
order to not re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone had
performed similar testing?"