Testing Direct I/O

  • From: "Khemmanivanh, Somckit" <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:11:47 -0800

Hi,

The DB is Oracle 9i on an HP-UX 11.11 system. My question concerns
direct I/O.

I've read numerous papers and vendor documentation (Oracle and HP) on
the merits of bypassing the HP buffer cache (i.e. direct i/o).

However, I'd like to test the results of actually using direct i/o. In
order to not re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone had
performed similar testing?

I saved and executed a few benchmark SQL statements pre-direct i/o, is
this enough? Can I simply re-exexcute these benchmark statements?

What metrics should I be focusing on to "quantify" direct i/o benefit in
my environment?

What I don't want to do is switch to direct i/o and have performance
decrease (i.e. temp TS space was de-buffered) or not understand what/why
performance decreased...

Thanks much!