re: Teradata Comparison

  • From: cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

hello all,
  for the past few weeks, I have not heard the "end of it" in a number of
discussions I've had with a developer holding in high regards Teradata as being
the "serious" datawarehousing db, "much better" than Oracle.  Not knowing the
particulars of Teradata, naturally, I could not digress or make a comparative
point, however, to me, even the biggest, the uber-googol databases, can be
partitioned & summarized pretty efficiently for awesome results & response.

  Has anyone worked with Teradata? What are some of their strenghts that Oracle
does not provide?  -- I doubt there are many, if any at all, but I'm looking
for a more expert opinion.

  thx a bunch,
  Cosmin