Re: Temp tbs with no temp file

  • From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sinardy <all_about_oracle@xxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sinardy,

> Do you guys write script to check the existing of the tempfile?

No, we don't. But when we clone/restore databases we review the controlfile
creation/tempfiles existence a bit more closely :) Our scripts for such
activities do the
actual work.

> I think I need to add "ADD TEMPFILE" in my startup script.

Not required.
Just make sure that the temp files exist when cloning/restoring the databases.
The trace
file created by 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' command has the
required
syntax to add tempfiles when you recreate the controlfile.

HTH,

- Kirti

--- Sinardy <all_about_oracle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Kirti,
>
> Thanks for the explaination
>
> In addition I also notice that the alert log contain this message

> WARNING: The following temporary tablespaces contain no files.
>          This condition can occur when a backup controlfile has
>          been restored.  It may be necessary to add files to these
>          tablespaces.  That can be done using the SQL statement:
>
>          ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> ADD TEMPFILE
>
>          Alternatively, if these temporary tablespaces are no longer
>          needed, then they can be dropped.
>            Empty temporary tablespace: TEMP
>
> Do you guys write script to check the existing of the tempfile? I think I
> need to add "ADD TEMPFILE" in my startup script.
>

> Regards,
> Sinardy

<snip>

Discover Yahoo!