Standbys and Temp Space

  • From: "Kevin Lange" <klange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:01:46 -0500

Environment:
    Oracle 9.2.0.7 Database with a TEMP tablespace defined with
TEMPFILES.

Process:
    Production Database gets cloned to a Standby using a Standby Control
File and copying all datafiles.  In doing the copy, ALL Datafiles get
copied.  Even the TEMP files.

Question:
    When you mount the Standby Database to accept logs, does it need the
TEMPORARY Tablespace Temp Files ?   It does not look like those are
necessary until you OPEN the database.   Right now space is a bit tight
and I could use that space someplace else.  If they are not necessary in
order for the Standby to apply its logs, I will stop the Clone Process
from copying them and just recreate them if/when we have to bring the
Standby up.

Thanks

Kevin