Solaris 11 Zones Anyone?

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:29:04 -0600

We're getting started on Solaris 11 and using zones and I'm not familiar
with installing Oracle inside a zone.

Is a zone basically a standard solaris installation running "virtualized"?
 In other words, for each zone, do we setup the necessary limits and
parameters using the Solaris installation guide - pre-installation tasks?
Or is that handled at the main server layer and replicated down to the
zones?

My initial reading suggests that each zone is a standalone operating system
in a "virtualized" environment but I'm not sure.  (Also, is "virtualized"
the right term for a zone in this context?)

Thanks,
Chris