Re: Solaris 11 Zones Anyone?

  • From: Keith Moore <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 20:22:39 -0600

Yes, each zone is it's own separate environment. There is a global zone as well
that in our environment the DBAs do not have access to. Different technologies
but the end result is very similar to VMware or other virtualized environments.
From within a zone you cannot see the other zones or even know they exist.

We are on Solaris 10 and have seen some weirdness where at low loads some
utilities such as uptime and sar show results for the zone only (as they
should) but under high load show results for the entire physical server. Don't
know if that's been fixed in Solaris 11 or not.

Keith