RE: So how big is your buffer cache ?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:30:48 +0000

I didn't read the whole article. However, one of the arguments appears to be to
tell a client to just buy more hardware. Is this always bad? Given the relative
costs of hardware vs. personnel? In many cases it might be alot cheaper to just
add hardware than it would be to hire alot of developers to re-write an
application. It takes alot of 3GL developers to accomplish much of anything.
Typical government rates are $60/hour billed to the federail government. That
comes to about $115,000/year. Lets say you can get RAC and add another server
for $75,000.
Just bringing up a point for discussion. I would think that as hardware gets
more and more advanced, it will become cheaper and cheaper to throw hardware at
something...
any comments?