RE: So how big is your buffer cache ?

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:38:04 -0400

But Ryan,

I think you are correct that hardware is now cheaper than hiring folks.  But
going the RAC way may end up costing more, compared to upgrading a single
server with a stronger CPU or adding more memory.

I would never suggest RAC until I hear that it is better than upgrading the
server.  Right now, it sounds like RAC is more expensive than the other
approach (harder to maintain, need better and smarter DBA's and SysAdmins,
and the whole question of how much do you gain when you start clustering
servers).

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional