Semi-OT: Thoughts on Flash pages in MetaLink?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:51:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

Just poking around the new-ish Metalink Flash-based design in the SCM area.
It looks prettier, but the interface seems, well, annoying.  Maybe I'm just
getting old and stuck in my old ways, but I think it's be more difficult to
use.

It's Flash, so it comes with all the Flash limitations -- can't view in many
browsers (e.g. mobile), breaks browser's "Back" and "History" functionality,
heavier net traffic and local GUIfication makes it slower, etc.

Also with the Flash page I can only pull up one article at a time.  As a
workaround, I can launch a new tab (in Firefox) for a new dashboard, but I
have to reenter the search and remember where I was (provided the search
results are deterministic, to borrow a PL/SQL term).  Plus, the extra 30-60
second load time for the dashboard is excessive.

I left Oracle feedback a few times already, but the 200-char limit on it
doesn't do it justice.

Am I just cranky or is this going to be an issue for any other Oracle
Support customers?  If it's going to take me longer to effectively search
the KB for a solution than it is to file an SR...

Thoughts anyone?

Rich