RE: Seek Data Warehouse Design skill

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

--- DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I gotta go with Mladen on this one. One of the most
> brilliant colleagues I
> have worked with whose abilities continually amazed
> me was seeking a job at
> the same time as I was. He was in a different
> country from his birth and I
> wasn't. Many people think that if you don't speak
> good English you must be
> dumb. Guess who got more job offers - him or me?
>    You may think you can spot the hot-shots in an
> interview, but I think
> that just means you haven't hired very many people.

Mladen has good points. No doubt. Its a difficult
topic for email with delayed responses, and its easy
to misspeak (type a word) and create misunderstanding.

In our situation, I wasn't looking for hot-shots
because we were given batch of candidates. I was
trying to distinguish between them in some efficient
and simple fashion. Practical ideas were needed.

Please, I did not say English skills, rather
communication skills. So, we did not hire candidates
that we could not discuss *any* topic. Yes, we had
candidates that were unable to respond to hello. Maybe
their mouths did not work, I don't know. I've lived
and worked around the world so I don't judge based on
English, for sure.

Thanks for feedback. Yes, this is way off topic, so
I'm done.

Regards,

Mike Thomas