Re: SQL*Net message to client

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ray Stell" <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:53:12 -0000

Some of the information you can infer by looking at the output of the following query:

select view_definition from v$fixed_view_definition
where view_name = 'GV$SESSION_WAIT'
/

This gives the definition of (g)v$session_wait in
terms of the underlying X$ objects, and shows
you the way in which some of the v$ columns
are derived by decodes from (particularly)
the microsecond wait time.

'Client' in this wait event is simply a session
at the far end of an SQL*Net link - i.e.
incoming database link or normal end-user/batch
connection.

In a normal client/server dialogue, e.g. SQL*Plus
running a simple query and fetching lots of rows
one at a time, you would expect to see this event
coming and going very rapidly (alternating with
SQL*Net message from client).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Nov 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Stell" <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>