RE: SQL*Net message to client

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:16:31 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

I do see your point. The use of the word "hanging" does not cover every
eventuality, such as what you have pointed out. However, there are many
occasions where the client front-end "went away" and the backend process
hangs on this message - this is a much more common occurrence than the
'create index' you describe and this can be used to alert the DBA of
such a hang. If the session in question is supposed to be doing
something useful (such as create this index), then I would assume that
the DBA does not kill the session and restart it in the hope that it
would 'go faster' this time around ;-)

If we do get around to a re-print, I will keep this in mind and add this
in as a sidebar.

Thanks!
John