Re: SQL programming fundamentals

  • From: "Bill Ferguson" <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:58:36 -0600

Kind of along these lines (which is why I didn't change the subject
line), it seems like the theoritical part of design knowledge would be
more appropriate for those of us who have "built from the ground up",
custom databases. I could be wrong, but I really don't see much need
for the theorical knowledge of database design if all somebody is
running are pre-packaged systems from Oracle, Peoplesoft, etc. Once
the company comes out with a new version, it seems like any
customizations would need to be redone all over again. I've never
worked on any system using those kind of 'canned apps', so I may be
wrong, but that's how I see it. All of the performance improvements
people make have very little to do with the theorical design, but how
to improve what they're stuck with.

Also, it would be interesting if somebody conducted a poll of how many
people have custom databases vs. a canned application, or some
percentage of the two, maybe even canned apps with customizations.

--
-- Bill Ferguson