Re: SQL programming fundamentals

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.robson@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:26:19 +0800

"Should one distrust any SQL code written by someone without a sound knowledge of relational theory?" and "whether the ability to think in this fashion is in any way dependent on an understanding of relational theory".

I think not. When I see good code or bad code, I do not ask the developer if he understands relational "theory". I do not care to know if his academic background is in mathematics or accountancy or any of the "non sciences". It is quitelylikely -- and I strongly believe that it IS true -- that people can understand tables and data without formal training in relational theory.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

At 03:44 AM Saturday, Peter Robson wrote:
Thanks to you all for many interesting and illuminating contributions.

Two points stand out.

First the issue of 'thinking' in terms of sets when working with SQL, of achieving the mind-set jump from the simple procedural approach to the set based. It happened so long ago for me that I had in fact forgotten just how significant it is!

Which begs the question of whether the ability to think in this fashion is in any way dependent on an understanding of relational theory. Do you think it is?

Second, and something of a corollary to that latter point, is this. Should one distrust any SQL code written by someone without a sound knowledge of relational theory? The implications of an affirmative to this question are rather considerable, I would have thought... nevertheless, your own comments would be much valued!

Peter

Hemant K Chitale