SQL Tuning Advisor incorrectly states current plan

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:52:09 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

I finally have the patch installed that I needed to use the SQL Tuning
Advisor from Grid Control 10.2.0.3.0 on our 10.1.0.5.0 database.  My idea is
to use it in cases where plan stability is needed (e.g. bind peeking on
skewed values).

On my first try in Production (I've used it in Dev for months now), it came
back with a recommended plan -- just what I was looking for.  However, the
recommended plan is what Grid Control's Top Activity says is the current
execution plan and the "original" plan is what I'm looking to change it
*to*, not *from*.

The only thing that looked out of place about the Tuning Advisor run was
that it terminated prematurely after it reached the two hour limit I imposed
upon it.

Anyone using this feature?  I'd just as soon try to stay away from outlines
again if I can help it.

TIA!
Rich