Re: SPM again

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx, jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:50:36 -0800

Hi Job and Charles,

I have not used this in Production yet, but I do see another use for
SPM. My problem is this: AWR is stored (by default) for 7 days - and
we loose older SQL ID/Plan Hash information (unless you custom extract
it). I would like to turn on OPTIMIZER_CAPTURE_SQL_PLAN_BASELINES in
the Dev/Test/Stage environments, capture Plans and use SPM to store
this longer term without the overhead of either creating my own custom
copy of AWR or (worse!) retaining AWR for substantially longer
periods.

Auto evolve plan baselines?? (Hmmmm - I don't think I am that mad
yet!)  Seriously, you are going to allow the optimizer to pick the
lower cost plan when you *know* that the lower cost plan (as
calculated) is sometimes not the "right thing" to do?

Having said that, if I am using Stored Outlines, then I would have to
migrate to SPM to remain supported.

Plan stability? What is that??! (Just kidding).

John

--
John Kanagaraj <><
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnkanagaraj