SKEWONLY' WORKS !!!!!!!!

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:42:17 -0400

Hi list,
after reading the effect of histogramas, I decided do not gather histograms,
without testing before, so I droped and recalculated statistics ( in more
than one production database) without getting them with the skew only optoin

I did this
EXEC DBMS_STATS.DELETE_DATABASE_STATS();
EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_database_STATS( );

Then all the useres started to complaint somep rocess were slower, some of
them were 100% slower, then I gather againt histogram statistics and all
return to normality.
EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_database_STATS( ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>100,METHOD_OPT=>
FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE SKEWONLY');

So based on my experience in 9.2, if you don't use histograms, try to run
this command and see if you get some performance (test it )

Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco
OCP