Re: SKEWONLY' WORKS !!!!!!!!

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:23:46 -0600

Instead of "SIZE SKEWONLY", I would use "SIZE AUTO". It collects the same
histograms as skewonly, but while skewonly will create a histogram for any
column which is skewed enough, "auto" will do it only for columns which may
benefit from a histogram, i.e. columns used in predicates.

Of course, I prefer not to use either, but collect histograms for selected
columns with individualized numbers of buckets.

At 09:42 AM 8/13/2004, you wrote:

>Then all the useres started to complaint somep rocess were slower, some of
>them were 100% slower, then I gather againt histogram statistics and all
>return to normality.
>EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_database_STATS( ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>100,METHOD_OPT=>
>FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE SKEWONLY');
>
>So based on my experience in 9.2, if you don't use histograms, try to run
>this command and see if you get some performance (test it )
>
>Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco
>OCP

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling