RE: Rule of thumb for new schema vs. new database?

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <brian.peasey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:27:06 -0400

Dennis,

        Allow me to disagree.  Yes you could upgrade Oracle for one
application without the others if you have separate Oracle_Homes for
each instance which requires a lot more disk space.  Yes you can bring
down one instance for maintenance without affecting the others, but your
probably bringing it down to increase some parameter that will
ultimately affect the other instances.  And I've never had a problem
moving an application out of an instance and into another even when it's
sharing on both sides.  That was what export/import was designed for.

        Other problems that I've had with separate instances are:

        1) The development manager will ultimately want his/her own
server.  In one instance the manager wanted his own LAN and ups to boot.
        2) Many users will need access to this application as well as
others.  Keeping passwords in sync is a true pain in the .
        3) Applications sooner or later need data from other
applications, which means linking your databases together.  This is a
performance problem from the start, and makes troubleshooting a true
pain.  It also kills the ability to take one app down for maintenance
without affecting anyone else.  Also codifying inter-instance data
validation is one road you really don't want to head down.

        Now there are good reasons for having dedicated instances, but
those I've seen have been causes simply by a lazy development effort or
an effort that was misdirected in the first place.  I'll take one that
shall forever remain nameless.  The application at startup for each
client needs to look at priviledges granted for the entire database.
Yes they created a number of view definitions based on data dictionary
tables that HAD to reside in the SYS account.  Now while it would share
the instance, doing so caused the logon process to extend from it's
normal 2 minutes (yes that is the normal expected logon time from the
vendor) to as much as half an hour.  The bottom line is install the app
in a shared test instance.  If it behaves badly, think before you leap.
The problem could be the database or it could be the app.

        BTW: If it's the app & it was developed in house I've a well
used baseball bat that is open for rental.  ;-)