RE: Rman Locking

  • From: "Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:57:37 -0000

We run into this problem quite a lot.

The issue seems to be that during a RMAN backup it takes an enqueue lock =
(seems to be of type CHPT) against the RMAN catalogue.
This is held whilst it searches for obsolete/redundant rows to delete.
As you will be aware there is quite a lot of referential integrity =
within the catalogue and some of the full table scans can be quite =
intensive on a very large catalogue.
The process then exaggerates as another backup is kicked off from a =
different target database.

The end result is the need to kill of the locked processes and restart.
Solutions can be to reduce the number of concurrent rman backups from =
seperate servers and to increase the number of catalogues in use.
We have a RMAN recovery database with a number of schemas which we back =
various versions of Oracle software into and we can also split into =
schemas for application types  (i.e. rman8i, rmman9i, rmancust etc)

HTH
John