Resource Manager/waiting in check2 question

  • From: <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:29:54 -0400

Hi all,

I inherited a database that has Resource Manager running and I'm still
trying to figure out how this works since I've never used it before.

At the moment I have an Oracle session taking up almost a full CPU
according to top (12% on an 8 cpu machine), it's running with a priority
of 0, and a 10046 trace shows that all the time is being taken up with
resmgr:waiting in check and resmgr:waiting in check2 (mostly the
latter).

The people running this session say that it's taking much longer than
usual.

The user is part of SYS_GROUP which has 50% of Level 1 according to the
current resource plan.

The resource manager docs have not impressed me so far.  I see how to
assign cpu for level 1, level 2, etc. but I have yet to find an
explanation of what level 1, level 2, etc. actually signify.

My understanding from metalink is that resmgr:waiting in check2 is an
idle wait event used to limit cpu usage.  But since this user should
have the highest priority I'm not sure why it's being limited.

Any suggestions on how to get this back to a higher priority or at least
an explanation of what's happening?

Would turning off Resource Manager help?

Thanks,
Jay Miller