RE: Replication

  • From: Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:43:01 -0400

Hey Sanjay,
After breaking the replication jobs, you need to make the surviving site as MDS
by relocating it.

dbms_repcat.relocate_masterdef(gname                 IN VARCHAR2,
                               old_masterdef         IN VARCHAR2,
                               new_masterdef         IN VARCHAR2,
                               notify_masters        IN BOOLEAN := FALSE,
   -- If this is the only Master site left, you should set this to FALSE.
                               include_old_masterdef IN BOOLEAN := FALSE,
-- You need to set this to FALSE if you don't have all the master sites up now.
                               require_flavor_change IN BOOLEAN := FALSE);

Here is how you could check who is the current master site is:
select gname,dblink,masterdef from dba_repsites order by 2;

You could remove the repgroups on the surviving site(s):
exec dbms_repcat.drop_master_repgroup(-
gname=>'<REPGROUP_NAME>',-
DROP_CONTENTS=>false,-        -- This will retain all the replicated tables
while the repgroup is being removed
ALL_SITES=>false);                  -- This will ensure no communication is
sent to the other master sites

You may want to check for errors before and after the process in dba_repcatlog.
You may want to simulate the testing in a non-production environment before
executing this in production.
Hope this helps.
-Upendra