RE: Red Hat Advanced Server downloads

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:14:54 -0500

Hmmm...did RH change something?  When the Developers trial came out (last
year?), we paid our $60 and did download RHAS2.1 ISOs.  The problem with 2.1
is that it's so old, it wouldn't install properly on our new-ish hardware.
At the time, I wasn't able to find any way to update the drivers, so I
deemed it as "Not Viable".

The thing is, it's Linux.  In order for it to be "Linux", they have to make
the source publicly available.  You may want to look at
http://www2.uibk.ac.at/zid/software/unix/linux/rhel-rebuild.htm for a
mini-HOWTO on building RHAS 2.1 from source.  Hopefully it's similar for
RHAS3.  At least the price is right!  :)

GL!

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA