RE: Really strange performance issue

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:59:31 +0000

Although we generally expect cardinality feedback to result in better plans
it's possible that a change in plan could change the order in which the data
driving (e.g.) a scalar subquery is accessed, increasing the number of times a
subquery is executed without changing the number of rows returned in the
rowsource. If by "embedded select" you actually mean a scalar subquery it's
possible that the main query does look more efficient to the optimizer, but the
scalar subquery runs far more time.  Easy to detect if you enable rowsource
execution statistics (e.g. add hint gather_plan_statistics) and use the
'allstats last' format option with dbms_xplan.display_cursor().

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
@jloracle