RE: Reading/Interpreting 11g Statspack reports

  • From: "Brooks, Dominic (London)(c)" <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:50:10 -0000

Statspack is definitely something you can look at.
Just bear in mind that the problems affecting this "local" issue might
not be significant in the wider Statspack picture.

The clues might be right there in the top SQL sections (or elsewhere in
the report). It depends.

Going from 8i to 11g, there are so many factors - stats changes, CBO
changes, etc.

Even if we're just talking query plans, the truth is that going from 8i
to 11g, I'd expect some stuff to change for the better, some for the
worse and some to stay the same. Different SQL might have changed for
different reasons.

Other things to consider are
- whether the code is hinted for legacy 8i reasons
- non standard parameters for legecy 8i reasons

Here's an Oracle white paper just talking about 9i to 10g:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/db/10g/pdf/twp_bidw_optimiz
er_10gr2_0208.pdf

Cheers,
Dominic