Re: Reading/Interpreting 11g Statspack reports

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:36:45 -0800

Thanks to all who have replied so far (and if you have something to add, please
do!).

My thought was that since the nasty query is the same on both sides, and the
Amazon "server" is far more powerful, that the first place I should look would
be the way I have 11g configured.  It has been *years* since I last did a fresh
install of Oracle but I do recall that there were various things one could
change and that statspack was one of the tools to see where the bottlenecks
are.  Is that not the case anymore now that Oracle claims to be self-tuning or
whatever the latest marketing hooha is? :)

Is this a reasonable approach, or am I just wasting time?  I can tune
individual queries if I have to, but I have to be *very* careful about not
stepping on toes...

I had forgotten about 10046 traces - I will definitely try that as well.

thanks,

janine