Re: ((Re)): problem interpreting wait events

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:06:44 -0700

No, you are querying the correct view, you just haven't looked at the columns
and their description. dba_extents shows you extents. It has the block id of
the first block of the extent and the size of the extent in blocks (column
blocks). It does not list every block of the extent, which is what you expect.
You have to look for the segment where your block from p2 is >= block_id and <
block_id + blocks. When you do that you will find that
a) you do get a segment name back
and
b) you will have performance problem on anything but mickey-mouse systems

--
regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle 7,8,8i,9i OCP DBA