problem interpreting wait events

  • From: ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:52:41 +0000

I am getting excessive 'db file sequential reads' in an array insert. It is not
from the select part, since those are all table scans with 'db file scattered
reads'. This part runs pretty fast(I ran a select count(*) on it).
I am reading my 10046 trace and from v$event_name I know that p2 for db file
sequential read is the 'block#'.
Where do I find the segment that this is a part of? I look for the block in
dba_extents and it never returns? I try a variety of different block#s that I
get back and it never comes back. I think I may not get this if its part of the
'undo' tablespace since its not static. However, I know that it is part of a
data tablespace since I checked the 'p1' value in dba_data_files?
So which view should I use to nail down where the wait is coming from? I turned
off my foreign key constraint before I started, so at this point, I want to
nail down exactly what segment is being hit with a db file sequential read, but
I cannot find it in dba_extents?