Re: Re: Oracle 911 Article

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 00:41:16 -0500

On 03/07/2004 12:21:55 AM, Cary Millsap wrote:
> Expected revenue for an Oracle consultant was about 4x salary, but only
> about 1.3x the company's actual cost of the employee, when you include
> things like benefits, bonuses, training, management, administrative,
> legal, and so on. It's a rough business to try to stay in.

As Bob Dylan would sing, the times have changed. Very few companies
are actually willing to pay for training, because there is a good quality
talent literally on the street. Database professionals, just like everybody
else,  are expected to  train themselves, buy their own books and play with
their own machines. It isn't fair, but it does cut down the competition. If
these hard times last for another year, very few people will actually know how
to manage Oracle 10g. Consequently, there will be very few qualified
DBAs/data managers/performance analysts. Oracle pulling out of the business
will actually help to those who remain standing. I must confess that I
would be afraid to live from contract to contract these days and
that I've looked for safe harbor. I hope to stay in shape and resume
contracting once the situation improves. I believe that small and medium
size companies will not find economic justification in outsourcing and
that more and more small companies will need to have an overall DBA/performance
analyst/data manager who will even do some development with the tools
like DBI or PHP, the language that I'm learning right now. Once the smoke
clears, it's going to be much better.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA