RE: RMAN restore question

  • From: P D <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jvmster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 23:57:49 -0400

I am not sure I understand.   I may want to restore from a Level 0 backup that
was taken 3 days ago.   When I did a CROSSCHECK BACKUP it showed it as
AVAILABLE.

In the log however I found where there is also a datafile copy (actually
controlfile backup) that is several months old that is showing up as mismatched
which therefore couldn't be deleted from disk channel.   I am trying to figure
out if old copy will interfere or prevent me from restoring from the backup
that was taken 3 days ago?    Or when it says something like that is mismatched
does it basically mean it is like a ghost copy in catalog that just needs to be
cleaned up but won't interfere with restore of current copy.

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:10:02 +0530
Subject: Re: RMAN restore question
From: jvmster@xxxxxxxxx
To: pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi,

pleas try to use until sequence option....based on sequence numer u will get
that.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM, P D <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will receiving the following error affect a restore from a backup taken 3 days
ago if the Datafile Copy that the warning is referring to is actually very old.

RMAN-06207: WARNING: 1 objects could not be deleted for DISK channel(s) due
RMAN-06208:          to mismatched status.  Use CROSSCHECK command to fix status
RMAN-06210: List of Mismatched objects
RMAN-06211: ==========================
RMAN-06212:   Object Type   Filename/Handle
RMAN-06213: --------------- ---------------------------------------------------
RMAN-06214: Datafile Copy   /u03/backup/prod_nmnr/20100419/Fri_controlfile.bkp

The backup script itself runs a Level 0 backup using target database control
file instead of recovery catalog.   The recovery manager backup from 3 days ago
completed.
The script then connects to the catalog and does the following:
crosscheck backup;
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired backup of database;
delete noprompt obsolete;

Ran a CROSSCHECK BACKUP command and the backup from 3 days ago is showing up as
AVAILABLE.

Was just wondering what the affect of the warning for the old controlfile might
have on a restore.