Re: RMAN restore question

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx" <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "jvmster@xxxxxxxxx" <jvmster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 06:30:12 -0700 (PDT)

The old datafile copy should not impact your recovery at all. You can confirm
this if you like by using the restore validate command.

You will want to crosscheck the datafile copy, not backups. Use the crosscheck
copy of command to crosscheck your datafile copy and mark it as obsolete.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past
and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production
problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in
this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and
reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.

________________________________
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:10:02 +0530
From: jvmster@xxxxxxxxx
To: pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi,

pleas try to use until sequence option....based on sequence numer u will get
that.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM, P D <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will receiving the following error affect a restore from a backup taken 3 days
ago if the Datafile Copy that the warning is referring to is actually very old.

RMAN-06207: WARNING: 1 objects could not be deleted for DISK channel(s) due
RMAN-06208:          to mismatched status.  Use CROSSCHECK command to fix status
RMAN-06210: List of Mismatched objects
RMAN-06211: ==========================
RMAN-06212:   Object Type   Filename/Handle
RMAN-06213: --------------- ---------------------------------------------------
RMAN-06214: Datafile Copy   /u03/backup/prod_nmnr/20100419/Fri_controlfile.bkp

The backup script itself runs a Level 0 backup using target database control
file instead of recovery catalog.   The recovery manager backup from 3 days ago
completed.
The script then connects to the catalog and does the following:
crosscheck backup;
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired backup of database;
delete noprompt obsolete;

Ran a CROSSCHECK BACKUP command and the backup from 3 days ago is showing up as
AVAILABLE.

Was just wondering what the affect of the warning for the old controlfile might
have on a restore.