Re: RMAN limitiations when used with controlfile only

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:41:54 +0000

most people who use the repository seem to have the repository at the same
site(though a different server). Lets say you have a total site loss due to a
flood (your servers were hosted in new orleans...) or a tornado hits the
building. We had a tornado hit a building across the street from our data
center about 3 years ago.

so lets so you lose both your production database and the repository database
since the site was destroyed. This implies you need to do an export or some
other backup of your repository database to tape regularly and store that
offsite.

or am I wrong?

From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
Dear List:

I have been compiling a list of limitiations that are imposed
on RMAN when the catalog database is in the controlfile only.

While Oracle recommends using a repository database, the
official proclamation has been that its use is optional.

Lately it has become apparent that a repository database
isn't really optional.

The only stated limitation of using the controfile only is that stored
scripts cannot be used.  There are several documents on MetaLink
that seem to contradict that. Limitations with TSPITR, databases that
may be missing archive log backups do to being opened with
RESETLOGS, and others I'm sure.

The fix for the limitiations I have found is to 'use a recovery catalog
in the database.'

If you know of any other limitations imposed on RMAN when the
catalog resides only in the controlfile, please post them.

Thanks,

--
Jared Still