Re: RMAN hangs after 10.2 upgrade

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oramail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:04:44 -0800

It would be interesting to see an strace output from the RMAN process.

That is somewhat problematic however, as you are on Windows.

There is a free strace for windows:
http://www.intellectualheaven.com/default.asp?BH=projects&H=strace.htm

I have not tried it since version 0.3 - it did not work well for me.

As it is now at 0.8, it may be worth checking out.

Jared

On 3/2/07, Rich Holland [oramail] <oramail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 We recently upgraded a dozen or so databases from 9.2.0.(6|7) to 10.2.0.2+
patch 10 on Win32.  Now when we execute a 'connect target' in RMAN, it
runs very slow – a 'show all' command takes a couple minutes to complete.
 'exit' takes ~5 minutes.  We're not using a recovery catalog, and our
control files are around 15M.  If we don't connect to the database, RMAN
starts & stops very fast, as expected – it just seems to be trodding through
molasses whenever it's connected to the database.

Here's a 'show all' in one of the systems:

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

RMAN configuration parameters are:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 21 DAYS;

CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default

CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'\\backupserver\orab

kup\DEV\dev_ctrl_%F';

CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 3 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;

CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default

CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default

CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default

CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default

CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'E:\ORACLE\DEV\102\DATABASE\SNCFBWP.ORA';

 # default

Has anyone else seen similar problems with 10.2?  We poked around in
metalink but didn't see anything….

Thanks!
Rich

--